Virgin Coconut Oil: The Delicious Fat BurnerNot all of fats are harmful for health. This is often wrongly blamed to fats, so there are full of low-fat or fat-free products in markets but they are not saving humanity. Today many people know more about obesity and are not in trouble from low-fat propaganda.
If healthy diet plan is to include natural nutrients, it should include good fats. Because fats are found widely in natural products such as tallow and lard in animals, fish oil in fish, oils in vegetables and fruits – olives, avocado, canola, nuts, seeds and coconut. And the most important sources: milk. You can see that fats are everywhere.
Essential vitamins such as A, D, E and K are soluble in fats. If you lack of fats, you bereave absorption of these vitamins. Actually, there are good fats and bad fats. Omega-3 is the example of good fat. Most of bad fats are long chain fats like in lard and butter.
Coconut oil was considered harmful for health because it contains full of saturated fats. But the fact is; not all saturated fats are the same. There is a big different between saturated fats from coconut oil and from others. Saturated fats in coconut oil are mainly Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) those constructed from medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) while other fats in vegetables and animals are long chain triglycerides (LCTs). The molecular length specifies how a fat is metabolized. Long chain fatty acids are more difficulty used and they are stored in our body in adipose (fat) tissue. This is opposite from MCTs which are easily burned by our cells similar to carbohydrates and quickly release energy for activities. Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is pure coconut oil, so it contains plenty of medium chain fatty acids especially Lauric acids.
As described, it’s not the fat type that matters but the molecular size, medium is better than long.
Researches in Epidemiology found that people from Africa and Pacific have no significant relation between coconut oil consumption quantity and obesity or high cholesterol level. They use normally use coconut as staple food.
Coconut Oil – The Miracle of Nature.Coconut oil is the organic phenomenon which prolongs and enriches life by its excellent and undeniable benefits.
It would be nice if you eat until you’re full and satisfied and enjoy your dishes without any worries about diet and weight gain. This is possible if you consume coconut oil between your weight loss programs. It’s like a dream for anyone who is on diet.
Essential fatty acids in coconut oil enhance metabolism and improve thyroid function. They also improve your immune system too and finally total health. Many modern researches indicate that there is a relationship between weight loss and coconut oil consumption quantity.
The best coconut oil for consumption is virgin coconut oil. Production of virgin coconut oil maintains natural original nutrients because most factories use low temperature and don’t use chemical solvents, additive and preservatives. So, it is normally more expensive than non-virgin coconut oil.
Why must lose weight?Nowadays, obesity is like an epidemic. It is spreading around the world; people get more and more weight from bad eating habit. Obesity brings us many bad things – heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, intra cerebral hemorrhage, diabetes, cancer, depression, corporal imbecility. And the most obvious thing is losing confidence by terrible body shape. Whatever, it destroys your quality of life, no reason to keep overweight.
Why use Coconut Oil for Weigh Loss.There are several benefits of coconut oil for weight loss as shown below:
- Coconut oil has fewer calories than other vegetable or animal oils. It is also less stored in our body because it is burned to release energy quickly. This can avoid gaining weight.
- Additional energy from it makes you burn more calories, this supports weight loss.
- Our digestive system can easily digest coconut oil.
- Substances in coconut oil help thyroid functions and reduce pancreas stress. It leads to weight loss by increasing metabolism.
- It is obvious that tropical people are often slim and not overweight although their cuisines include much of coconut oil. This is a good example that coconut oil is not an important factor of obesity.
Coconut Oil Action Mode.
- You can used coconut oil as a good appetite suppressant by applied the oil about a 30 minutes before your meal. It activates the brain’s satiety center and then your hanger reduced. This makes you feel fuller than usual and eat less. There are researches shows that if someone uses coconut oil, he/she is satisfied and feel full sooner than usual. Furthermore, it keeps this effect a long time and then you are still full after meal, don’t feel like to eat something else. Finally you get fewer calories and lose your weight.
- Coconut oil increases metabolic rate of your body, this means the excess energy will be burned. Calories will be burned more even in resting time. In addition, it gives you more energy to activities, workouts and be active.
- Coconut oil is a natural thermogenic which makes your body burn more calories to release heat and keep you active and warm. The thermogenic is one of the most beneficial properties in weight loss. Many of weight loss products in markets use this process in their commercial products.
- Coconut oil supports functions of thyroid gland system. It sustains thyroid gland health and then it well produces Thyroxine hormone at sufficient amount. Thyroxine works like a car accelerator that it boosts your body. Thyroxine quantity in your blood specifies calories burning rate, if there is much of Thyroxine, it is similar to step on a car accelerator. The car burn more fuel and you burn more calories. Children have more Thyroxine than adult and you can see that they are more active, and eat a lot without gaining much weight.
- People with abnormally low thyroid functions have lower metabolic rate. They lose their weight more difficult than normal because they have lower thermogenesis. Coconut oil can help at this point to optimize thyroid functions and improve weight loss.
- The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil support oxidation of fats. Your body will burn fat more and also use the collected fat. This reduces your body’s fat content.
- Fats in coconut oil is not transformed to carbohydrates and is not stored as fats. Medium chain fatty acids have a property to enter body cells and directly utilized by Mitochondria – the power generator of the cell, to release energy. This is one of the best things of coconut oil that makes your body uses up fats and doesn’t keep them.
- Last but not least, all properties of coconut oil explained above are proven, studied and verified by clinical research studies. It is not a bedtime story.
Further Reading about Coconut Oil and Weight Loss.
- Dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.
- MCT (MCFA) increase energy expenditure may result in faster satiety and facilitate weight control when included in the diet.
- MCFA hold potential as weight loss agents.
- Consumption of a diet rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) results in greater loss of adipose tissue compared with Long Chain Triglycerides (LCT), perhaps due to increased energy expenditure and fat oxidation observed with MCT intake. Thus, MCTs may be considered as agents that aid in the prevention of obesity and potentially stimulate weight loss.
- Consumption of MCT enhances Energy Expenditure and fat oxidation in obese women, when compared to LCT consumption. Substitution of MCT for LCT prevents long-term weight gain via increased EE.
- Oxidization of dietary fat results in diminished fat storage, loss of Body Weight and reduction in subcutaneous adipose tissue. Furthermore, MCT consumption stimulates Energy Expenditure and fat oxidation.
Some Cautions.Nothing in the world is perfect, even the beneficial coconut oil. Although adverse effects are rarely because coconut oil is natural, there are some people who are sensitive with coconut oil than other oils. The following suggestions maybe helpful:
- Some people have loose stool if consume large quantity of undiluted coconut oil (for example: 2-3 tablespoons and 3-4 times a day). Because those people’s digestive system can’t tolerate pure oil. This can be avoided by start eating the oil with small amount and increase gradually in the next days. Using coconut oil in cooking instead of directly eating may avoid this symptom.
- If you experience constipation, raise your water intake.
- Antibiotic properties of coconut oil may cause “Die-Off” symptoms if you consume large quantity of pure coconut oil. This can be helped by exercising to remove toxins from your body.
- It doesn’t matter how your weight loss program is, exercising is the thing you must do. Coconut oil normally contains 120 calories per a tablespoon. Your 1 pound weight (0.45kg) equals 3500 calories. This means you will gain weight in long term if you don’t exercise.
- You may be allergic to coconut oil and have a rash. This is suggested to test allergy before use of coconut oil. If you experience the symptom, use antihistamine to heal.
- If the allergic symptoms still last longer than 1 week, stop using coconut oil and products. You should use other oils such as olive oil.
Now you know much about benefits of coconut oil for weight loss. If you want a good virgin coconut oil for your program, try Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. You can find the oil at stores and online store. There are various sizes and value packs.